Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fairfield's very own Larry's Produce

 I have been hearing about this place for quite some time now and I finally found myself at its unpaved parking lot one weekend.

Walking from the lot, I was still wondering what the buzz was all about. I saw a food truck serving Mexican food to some of the shoppers parked along side a green wooden one-story structure with a red "billboard" facade that reads " Larry's Produce".

When I finally got to the front, the place was hustling and bustling. Instead of shopping carts, I saw people pushing vegetable and fruit-stained wheel barrows full of vegetables and fruits. There were deep wooden bins of flava beans, peppers, cucumbers and eggplants - all of which are very cheap. Delicious pinapples and watermelons just stacked up on each other. Onions and potatoes for less than a dollar a pound. You can walk away with more than a bagful with just $10.00. Crates upon crates of apples, peaches and apricots. Corn selling for 5 for $1.00. I was left wondering why I never did my produce grocery here to begin with. Well first of, I must admit, I'm not that much of a cook. I love eating what's been cooked :) But someday, I will grow up and cook.












So what was I doing there even if I'm culinarily-challenged? I wanted to buy eggs - $1.50 for a dozen and I wanted to check the place out and accompany my friend. The fact that I was "shutter-happy" when I got there was an easy sell as well.

If you're from the 707 and its neighbors and you love to cook or eat what is cooked, this place is easy on the wallet albeit a little rustic but it is what makes it so charming.

Larry's Produce is at : 4606 Suisun Valley Road Fairfield, CA 94534

They are open from June thru December.

No comments:

Post a Comment