Saturday, October 2, 2010

Card-making at a Local Shelter, Mission Solano

 I pulled in The Shelter and was greeted by Tammy, another wonderful volunteer who is my team partner in making this card-making class all possible. We headed to their lounge and kitchen area and set up shop.

There were some residents in there, some still in their pajamas, happily munching their breakfast. A little 2-year-old girl by the name of A, sat with her Mom and was already making Tammy and I laugh because she has a personality far bigger than herself.

I'm so glad to put some of my card-making stuff to good use and I am so greatful to have Tammy team up with me to make it all possible. I honestly would not have known what to do without her. Her expertise and system somehow made it all easier for everyone. It was a little chaotic at first and the class was geared towards the women particularly so it was unexpected when I found myself have to guide a very adorable 4 year old boy named D, to make a card :D. It wasn't as hard as I thought as I have a younger brother and have had some experience interacting with children that age in a learning environment. I find myself enjoying the activity as much as them.Moving forward, we all learned to adapt and I enjoyed everyone's personality tremendously. These people are amazing and non-judgmental. The children are there to have fun and they are a delight.





 We figured since it was November, we made a halloween-themed card. I just cut the card stocks, bought some extra inks and envelopes. Tammy, bless her heart did and supplied the rest -  pre cut papers, stamps, inks , wipes etec etc and the card designs.

I brought some Distressed Ink by Tim Holtz and Georgia Pacific Cardstock from Walmart. Not bad for a beggining class. I wish I knew what products Tammy used so I would post it here too.

Not bad for our Pilot card-making class :)

I decided to volunteer some of my time because I want to make myself useful and I want to do something for others because I want to and not because I get paid to do it. I want to have a purpose in a way.

In a way, I do it for my late maternal Grandfather Lolo Doc. Lolo is the Tagalog word for Grandfather. His name is actually Manuel but we call him Doc because for the longest time he was in a way, the Town Doctor in this town called Arayat in the Philippines. His clinic is adjacent to the house where him and his wife, Mamay, raised their 8 children. His patients were the farmers of the town making an honest living and most of them could not afford to pay him for the services. Still, Lolo took them in and helped them in any way he can even if he knew they can't pay him back. Many years later, the neighborhood of my grandparents became commercialized and in that one block alone, there are at least 5 other medical practices but the old-timer patients still kept dropping by to get checked by Lolo.

I can write another blog about that wonderful Man. I will save that for another time.

Sure in my life I have struggles and I am also blessed. I think this is the least I could do and I do because I want to do it and if form that 1-2 hour, I can create a fun environment for these kids and their mothers, then I am very thankful of them for giving me the opportunity for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment